Thursday, January 22, 2009

Love and the Blimp

There's a really ostentatious blimp that's been hanging around San Bernardino the last week or so. The whole thing is illuminated, and twice now it's had me thinking it was the moon as I left work. It has a giant scrolling marquee that's in full color, which was impressive, and then the damn thing started playing a movie or something and I had to put my eyes back on the road. It belongs to a place in Vegas that, as far as I can tell, is called 'M.' And somehow I've been getting heartburn again this week. A year ago I had strep throat, and I went from having heartburn once or twice a day to having it only once every six months. Can't explain it, but I had forgotten how annoying it was.

I was thinking today about one of my favorite movie scenes of all time. It's Gary Cooper in Love In The Afternoon, a Billy Wilder Flick from either 1954 or 1957. Audrey Hepburn's character has fallen in love with this wealthy American hot shot playboy, and in order to make him jealous she makes up a whole list of men she has been with and leaves it on his tape recorder. This scene starts shortly after he starts listening to it. You miss a little of the beginning, but frankly I was surprised to find such a good clip that had most of the scene. The scene I speak of ends at about 3:30, although if you watch the whole clip you just might want to see the movie. The playboy, Mr. Flanagan, has a mariache band of sorts that he flies all over the world with him. They always play 'Fascination' when he's putting the moves on a lady. This is him with the band while listening to the recording of the girl who's got him vexed.

1 comment:

  1. Oh geesh, now I am going to have to try to find this movie to see how it ends. ;)

    ReplyDelete