Sunday, April 11, 2010

The Time, It's Relative

Remember, while back, when time used to pass at such different speeds? I look around as May comes to an end, feel the heat coming down, and remember how slow the days would go waiting for school to get out. Every day drags like a wagon with two busted wheels. And then suddenly you're signing yearbooks and you're on the bus, the last bus ride until September, which is about a hundred years away. And the nice thing is that time keeps moving slow. Calvin and Hobbes slow. In fact, thinking about Calvin and Hobbes, Bill Watterson nailed it so completely that there suddenly isn't much left to say. A day in late June spent with nobody around but your imagination has some truly mystical properties, the way it can pass so slowly and be gone in the blink of an eye. School doesn't do that, not the mandatory years anyway, not for me. A day spent in a succession of windowless classrooms was like a goddamned eternity, I don't know how my hair didn't go white.

So now those days are gone, and time is really picking up the pace. I don't even sweat the work week now. Two years ago, the weekend went so fast while the week dragged on, and now it all goes fast. Mondays don't bother me. I know that it'll be Friday afternoon as soon as I snap my fingers, and you know what, it is. I mean, life is starting to roll like the credits of a movie in the theatre, where you can't look away for too long if you don't want to miss who the gaffer was or something like that. Soon, I think, it's going to be going like the credits of a movie you just watched on tv, where it's going so fucking fast you realize you've just got to let it. So I guess the lesson is don't watch movies on tv. Not a good lesson, I know. I'm no sage.

I think I understand why we tend to get up earlier when we get older (aside from urinary problems and children, neither of which I have to worry about but those that do, you have my respect because I frankly don't know how you do it, the children part anyway, the rest of you, take cranberry) and that's because at a certain point, you get up at 11:30 and by the time you've had your coffee the day is half over.

Wow, another one right off the tracks. No idea where I was going with this. My attention span suffers worse than I thought. Think I'll take a drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment