Sunday, June 5, 2011

This One Time in Hawaii

It was about 5 hours earlier than the same time where I was.

Thinking about time in a more physical sense than usual, I was playing trivia late one night, and suddenly there were two bars in Hawaii that made it into the top 20. It was probably around midnight, assuming my time correction is accurate. That's about 7 in HI, right? Anyways, I got to thinking about playing a nationwide trivia game in real time. For instance, the places in CA that make the board pretty often are in Tujunga, Palm Springs, Orange and Goleta (Goleta?). Also there are about 3 bars in Portland OR that are always up there, as well as places in the midwest that I don't pay a lot of attention to. Occasionally I see places on the east coast, but usually less and less as time goes by. When I'm playing a game at 9 p.m., they're playing the same game but it's midnight for them. I was thinking that was strange but then I searched out the sites in Manhattan that have trivia, and there are very few... the only one worth mentioning, in fact, is Mad River Bar and Grill on 3rd Ave. Maybe there's a lot more to do when you're out in New York City... I don't know, I've never been there.

So, my napkin note for the night reads "What fun is it playing in Hawaii when there are no contenders in your time zone? Oh yeah, YOU'RE IN HAWAII."

On an unrelated note, but still regarding time, I've just started reading DFW's Infinite Jest, and I may have bitten off more than I can chew. So far it's like Naked Lunch without all the junk and the mugwumps and the alabaster.

No comments:

Post a Comment